Now that you are pregnant, it is time to get serious about quitting smoking, right? You might have heard that women who smoke while pregnant are at higher risk for low birth weight babies. They are at a greater risk for pre-term labor. Scientists have found that children of smoking mothers are at greater risk for obesity and diabetes, when they are older. Babies and cigarettes don’t mix!
Think about the other great reasons to quit smoking now:
- It could save you over $3,500 dollars a year (more if you include medical bills due to frequent breathing problems).
- Young will look and sound younger.
- Your baby will have a better chance at a healthy life.
- Your clothes, breath and hair will no longer smell like smoke.
- You will lower your cancer and Alzheimer’s risk.
- Your bones will become stronger.
- It is easier to find a housing rental (most landlords dislike smokers).
- You will not have to hide outside to smoke, during work hours.
If you make the commitment to quit, share your decision with family and friends. They can encourage you and support you in your decision. Try Nicorette gum to help with the withdrawal symptoms. Acupuncture has been shown to be effective in helping people stop smoking. Clear out your home of cigarettes and don’t buy any more, before your chosen start date.
There is no better time to free you of this expensive and dangerous habit! You owe it to yourself and your baby to quit smoking for good. For support, call 1-800-QUIT-NOW.