Home pregnancy tests are very easy to use and pretty reliable. These tips may seem obvious, but in the excitement and nervousness of the moment (Will I be? Won’t I be?), sometimes it’s easy to forget the steps needed to do a test. Remember to:
- Read the directions carefully before you take the test, even if you’ve used a similar type in the past. Then re-read them, to be sure.
- Get a clock, watch, or timer ready so that you can time the test accurately.
- Make sure that any equipment you need to use for the test (such as a dipstick or container) is clean when you start. Don’t reuse any equipment if you want to re-test.
- If the pregnancy test requires you to wait for the results, place your sample on a flat surface, in a place where it won’t be disturbed. Make sure that it’s away from heat.
- Read your test only after the recommended waiting period. Not waiting long enough (or waiting too long) can affect your pregnancy test result.
- If your pregnancy test kit contains second test (or if you buy a second kit) wait at least a few days before re-testing.