How Do I Tell My Parents I’m Pregnant?
There are times when your parents may not be the easiest people in the world to talk with, and it is even worse if the subject is something that you know will be upsetting. The important thing to remember is that if you are a pregnant teen, your mom or dad are the people who are in the best position to help you handle your problem and make responsible decisions.
“But how do I tell my mother and father I’m pregnant?”
- Choose a time when you will have complete privacy with your parents, as well as their attention. Tell them that you have to talk to them about a serious matter and ask them if they will not interrupt you until you have finished.
- From the first word you utter, be completely honest with your parents. Tell them exactly what your problem is and ask them for their help. They do love you and after the initial shock and hurt they will want to be there to support you through this difficult time.
- Start the conversation with the maturity that you will need from now on. You are in a tough situation and facing it in a grown up way will make the road a little less rocky. Avoid arguing if you can; remember that you will have to expect some anger from your mom and dad, but at this time in your life, they are likely the best friends you could have.
- After the first waves of shock have faded; talk with your parents about how you will handle this situation. If you have decided to keep your baby and your parents agree to continue to let you live at home, what new rules will be involved? What can you rely on them for and what do you need to provide?
- It must be understood that if a young mother decides to live with her parents and keep her baby, it is very important that all parties involved including grandparents know that the responsibility and care for that child lives with the mother. Things could end up very messy later on if a line is not drawn.
- If adoption is something you are considering, ask your parents for their full support in this decision. After thinking the situation through, they will most likely be very supportive in whatever decision you have made.
Remember, your parents will likely be upset by this news. All parents want their children to be successful and happy and having a child at a young age can make achieving your dreams more difficult . This will be at the root of their anger, but hang in there because that same love that is spurring that anger will win out and they will very likely want to stand by you through this difficult time in your life.
Remember to give your parents some time to absorb all this. Keep in mind, your parents may not have even known that you were sexually active. Are you asking them to absorb and accept that their young daughter has been having intercourse and is pregnant, all at once?
It’s very likely that their first reaction will reflect the anger and shock, but with time, they will come to the understanding that this is something they need to help and support you through, something that cannot be changed at this time. You need to remember to give them the time and space to make that realization.
If you are interested in learning more about how you can continue to achieve your dreams while still making the best decision for your child, you may wish to consider adoption. Call our Pregnancy Option Hotline 24 Hours a Day at 1-800-923-6784.