If you’re feeling ill, these mild over-the-counter meds are safe to use:
- Headache: Tylenol
- Colds/congestion: Tylenol, Sudafed, Chlor-Trimeton
- Heartburn or indigestion: Maalox, Mylanta
- Constipation: Metamucil, Colace
- Diarrhea: Kaopectate, Imodium
- Vaginal itch: Monistat or Gyne-Lotrimim (1% hydrocortisone cream)
If you need stronger medications, they’ll need to be prescribed by your healthcare provider. Necessary antibiotics, diabetic medications, and anti-depressants can be prescribed with caution by your healthcare provider. Some research has shown that the risks of taking these medications during pregnancy are worth it, since they can be so beneficial to patients.